Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Graduations

Once again it has been way too long since my last update. I had an update and then this website had an issue and it didn't post and it wasn't saved in the draft mode. So, that bummed me enough that I didn't come back for a while. Also, with school ending for the kids, it has been non-stop activities that they must be present for at X time an so forth.

First things though. I must recount Lydia getting the new horse. I had received it a couple weeks ago and placed it on her dresser in her room. I asked her to go and get her reading book off her dresser so we could get that done for the evening. I followed her down the hall to spy on her reaction. She walked into her room, and then stood dead in her tracks. She just stared for a moment and then whispered to herself, "She fiiiixxed it". She said it as if she were in a trance. She then walked up to the horse, and stared some more without picking it up. I think she was looking for glue. I then ask her, "well, what do you think?" from behind her back. She turns around and asks, "You were able to fix it?" I resisted the urge to lie, and told her that I couldn't fix it, but looked high and low and found a replacement. She was so excited she gave me a big hug and kiss with a million thank yous! I was queen mom for the day!

June 8th was hubby's birthday. He turned fifty! wow, how did he get so old? I guess that happens when you marry someone 9 years older than yourself. I originally had a birthday party planned for him. It was just going to be a BBQ with his friends over. It was also going to be a surprise. However, he saw me making the invitations and so I told him about it. He didn't want a party at first. I talked him into it, though he was reluctant. Obviously, it was no longer a surprise though. Well, about a week before his party, I hadn't got all the invitations out so we decided we would have the party at a later date...namely a combo July 4th party. So, that will come in time. On his birthday though, I made him one of his favorite dinners. It isn't one I make often, nor is it difficult, but he likes it. So, we had meatloaf with gravy, mashed potatoes, fresh bread, and steamed veggies. For desert we had his favorite German Chocolate cake. That was a bit of a disappointment because it was dry. Uggh. The kids were excited to give him his new St. Louis baseball cap they bought for him. I, in turn gave him a romantic evening once the children were in bed.

This Monday was kindergarten graduation. It was at 7:00 pm and it was long. All the kids were yawning before it was over. In my days at school there was no kindergarten graduation, but it seems they all do it now. They did great with their program. Lydia lost her hat once but acted like nothing happened and finished the singing. When the song was over she bent down and picked it up. "Just like Mrs. Adkins told us to do if our hat fell off". Too cute. She did a great job at her turn speaking into the microphone. Easy to understand without being too loud or too soft.
She got her diploma and off we went home to bed. I am going to have to scan her graduation picture. She looks so grown up you would think she were getting her PhD!

Yesterday was her Kindergarten field trip. We took a bus to Santa Barbara to a very nice botanical garden and park for the kids to play at. We had pizza for lunch and thankfully we had enough drinks for everyone because it was hot. The kids had a grand time. It has been years since I was on a school bus. I went along as a parent chaperone. Those seats seemed awfully small and cramped to me. It was also very loud! I will remember to bring earplugs on my next adventure. I can't tell you how many other moms came up to me and told me their son was smitten with Lydia. She is in a class with almost 75% boys and they all seem to really like her a lot. One mom was telling me about an argument her son had with another boy as to who's girlfriend Lydia was. I am not sure what to make of all this, but if it is any precursor, I am going to have to lock her up when she turns 12. Lydia has her water play day at school today. We were instructed to send them with a change of clothes. I sent her with a huge bag of water balloons and squirt guns. They should have a real fun time today. I wanted to stay and take pictures, but I have to work at some point. I won't be at work tomorrow because she has a half day and her aunt who would normally pick her up is leaving for vacation tomorrow. Besides, they are also having award day tomorrow. I would like to watch that in case the little miss receives an award. I have no idea if she will, but I would like to be there in case.

Last night Roo had his preschool graduation. It was thankfully much shorter than the kindergarten graduation. He did great with his songs. There were no solo parts for them, so that was good. They were told by their teachers not to wave so as to avoid them getting out of line and distracted, but Roo came out looking like he was the mayor on the parade route waving away! It was very nice and afterwards there was ice cream with all the trimmings. I am glad it is done now. It made for very two long nights and two very worn out children.

I know there was so much more I was going to post about, but for the fleeting moment, it is gone. Perhaps I will remember more later.

1 Comments:

At 4:39 PM, Blogger Babaloo said...

Hey! Welcome back. I missed reading your updates. The graduations sounded so cute. You must be so proud. Don't know about all the boyfriends though...what does your DH think?

Don't go away for so long next time, okay? Take Care!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home