Wednesday, May 03, 2006

No Trains, fun, or Other Games

Plans for the weekend ran aground early Saturday morning. 1:35 in the morning to be exact. My husband and I awoke to Roo's high pitch crying between gurgling sounds which launched us out of bed like a catapult. We found Roo laying in bed with his head hung over the side emitting his dinner, desert, and whatever other snacks he happened to have. My husband and I work in a team in these matters. I am usually the one in charge of the child, and he handles the cleaning.

I get a huge bowl so I can get him to the bathroom without having a trail all the way to clean up afterwards. He finishes his deed and I clean him up. Poor guy, I had to stip him down to nothing and he was standing there shivering while I ran and got him some clean clothes. After getting him all taken care of, I went to help M with cleaning up the room. The mess was everywhere, and on a light gray carpet, it was obvious there was much work do be done. I strip the bed linens and M is taking care of the carpet. Once I get the bed stuff into the washer, on double rinse, I head back to help M. We get the job done as much as we could, but it was still a huge stain. M had just bought me a new carpet cleaner for Mother's Day. I tell him I will get it out and start to work because if this stain sets, it is all over for this room. M offers to do the cleaning and tells me to take Roo into our bed. So, Roo and I slumber amidst the roaring of the carpet cleaner. Once that was done (and a fine job it did!), I got back up and get Roo's bed in order and get him back in bed with his large bowl. Now, this kid is good with his bowl. He never misses, which is any monther's blessing. We all get back in bed and Roo proceeds to be sick throughout the night needing help getting his face cleaned up afterwards and words of comfort. I was super beat on Friday, so M stayed up with Roo through the night. What a saint! I got up in the morning to take over so M could get some sleep himself. Poor Roo, you know the kid is sick when he tells you, "Mom, I am sorry, we can't go to the trains today". He was that pasty white color with green cast, that just says I am hella sick. He continues to be sick until he finally fell asleep about 1:00 pm. His body had given his stomach a total eviction notice. He woke up and was still feeling under the weather and just took it easy the rest of the day. Sunday, he was appreciably better and running around but not with quite as much zest as usual.

Now, Sunday at dinner Lyd did not eat much at all, nor did Roo, but I didn't really expect him to be ready quite yet. After dinner she said she wasn't feeling good and just wanted to lay down. She said her stomach was hurting. In preparation for the worst, I brought the freshly washed bowl to her bed and told her to try and get some sleep. Hubby and I were talking in our room, saying that she wasn't acting like herself and that I had better head into work and get stuff ready for Monday in the event that Lyd did get sick. Well, as it were, we didn't even finish our conversation when we hear her whimpering in her room. I head in there and there she is standing by her bed, room stinking to high heaven, and the sick bowl with some in it, but the majority of it was on her bed and floor. I whisked up the bowl and put it under her and she continued to be sick for a while. I get her all cleaned up and changed, pull her back into a pony-tail so that didn't end up being caught in the mess as well. We got her bed all changed and stuff started in the washer and get her back in bed with the bowl. Now, she is not like her brother in regards to the bowl. She doesn't hang her head there waiting until she is done. She puts her head upright until the next wave hits her, but then getting her face into the bowl is a little slow and there is always a certain amount that misses because of this. Very frustrating. Anyway, I went to work to finish get stuff done for Monday. I get back home about 9:00 and take the night shift with Lyd. We were up all night. Every 20 minutes she was heading to the bathroom. She was quite sick. All she wanted was Gatorade, and I kept telling her it would make her sick all over again. Well, she wouldn't relent, and I would give her a sip her and there, but she would always end up getting sick with it. Finally, at four o'clock, I couldn't take any more. I traded with hubby so I could get some sleep. Wouldn't you know it though, Lyd slept through from then on out. LOL. Anyway, 7:00 comes too quickly and everyone is up. Lyd is still quite sick throughout the day until about noon when she passes out due to shear exhaustion. Andrew is doing pretty well throughout the day, but doesn't take a nap, so I didn't get one either. Hubby gets home, and I head off to work to get stuff done for Tuesday.

Apparently during my commute home, Roo became sick again with the runs. Uggh, mess everywhere. M had taken care of it though and got that laundry going and set Roo up in our bed with a trail of towels heading to the bathroom to catch anything that didn't make it. Well, Roo had another major event that night. The night was long, but I got some sleep. Tuesday rolled around, and both kids finally seemed on the mend. My sis in law came over to watch them at noon for a couple hours while I went to work to manage stuff for Wednesday. Wednesday came, and all was well and right with the world. Both kids back in school and doing okay. Lyd was a bit resistant to head back to school and was stringing out the sickness thing. Now, I didn't want to send her to school if she were still sick, but she was fine so long as I wasn't asking her to do something she didn't want to do, such as studying her spelling words for the test she was having that day. As soon as we finished that, she asked if she could play. Initially I said no because we x and x to do, but then I said, "yes, go play for five minutes, and then we will finish up with getting you ready for school". That was a good choice on my part, because after that she was just fine and did everything she was asked without any whining. yay!

Now, I am at work, way behind but taking time to get this post up. Now, time to hit the chemistry benches...my lab is a complete disaster. We cannot leave instructors unattended in the lab.

2 Comments:

At 1:57 PM, Blogger Babaloo said...

Oh man!! That just sucks... poor kids...ugh, and poor parents! That just couldn't happen on a weekend during all that crappy weather either could it? I'm glad to hear they are doing better now and maybe you can do the trains this weekend?

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger The Great Sparlini said...

Well, the trains don't go every weekend. This happened to be a special thing we bought tix for way in advance. Alas, they still adorn my fridge. Ah well, all is better and we are back on our sea legs! Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home