Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Happens Every Semester

Every semester, at least once, we get an email titled "Student Death Notification". Every time it happens I feel somber and saddened at the loss of life so young. Amazingly enough, I have not known any of these students, but I am sure that will change at some point if I remain in this job. The first notification I received in my first summer at the college horrified me. I had never thought much about it. Since then, there have been many losses. Last semester was particularly bad with three notifications and a staff member notification. Most of the deaths have been auto accident related, one was a student who had been punched in the face and died while in a coma, another one or two came from illness. It always is a humbling reminder of how quickly the candle can be snuffed. It truly makes my heart to think of parents losing their children so young. A pain I couldn't truly appreciate until I had my own children, much as I couldn't truly appreciate how much a parent loves their children until I had my own. These are the days when I go home and give extra hugs to my kids and never want to let them go, just so they know how much I do love them.

Have to keep it short today as work calls, but it long over due for an update.

M

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home