Wednesday, November 29, 2006

San Antonio

Time for a quick update. I arrived in San Antonio today (about 3:00 pm TX time). The flight out of Santa Barbara wasn't too early. It left at 6:40 a.m. I got up about 3:15 this morning, got the final things packed and headed the hour drive south to the air port. It is much better than driving to LAX to catch a flight, that much is certain. I got there earlier than I needed to, but It wasn't too early. I needed to be there at least an hour in advance, and I arrived at 5:20 a.m. My brother Mike, his wife Jen, his ex-wife, and my nephew all went together today. The flight from Santa Barbara was a direct to Dallas, and then from there to San Antonio. The flight from Santa Barbara was a little special for the pilot as this was his last flight. He was officially retiring after this flight. He announced that he had flown for over 30 years and FAA regulations mandate that one cannot fly commercially one they reach 60. He turns 60 in a week or two. You could hear in his voice that he was very reluctant to leave this career. The flight attendants were also quite sad and it was noted in their demeanor during the flight. Upon arrival to Dallas our plane was greeted by two fire truck with their hoses poised ready for action. I guess it is tradition for a retiring pilot to get this kind of welcome on their last flight. The plane taxied under both nozzles of water on full bore and got completely soaking wet. The entire plane clapped and cheered for the captain. It was rather special to be a part of such a career coming to an end. The flight attendant came on the speaker and said he had been the best captain ever and her voice broke and quaked as she gave her rave review. I shook his hand and congratulated him on my way out of the plane. The corridor was lined American Airline personnel ready to give the Captain a warm welcome.

We made it San Antonio. A very short flight from Dallas. That was good. I was beat and was ready to get to the hotel. I got my rental car and got to the hotel. Nothing special, but it is clean and certainly ample. Continental breakfast in the morning, and WiFi access for computers, so that is a bonus feature and it is gratis. We went to dinner and are now relaxing in the confines of our own respective rooms. I am going to bed. Tomorrow is bound to come earlier than I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home